Oosterbeek Perimeter defence
20-25 September 1944
Oosterbeek, a village located on the north bank of the Neder Rijn a couple
of miles west of Arnhem, was chosen as a consolidation area for 1
Airborne Division. A defensive perimeter was accordingly formed (see Map)
and the Royal Engineer units, along with other troops, were allotted
sectors in its defence.
(Only a couple of those Royal Engineers engaged in the battle of Arnhem
bridge managed to get to Oosterbeek).
The 4th Parachute
Squadron guarded the north-west tip of the perimeter, with a detechment
of glider-pilots on their left-, and KOSB elements on their right flank.
They were basically
dug in the front yard of "Ommershof house" which served has HQ for
Major "Boy" Wilson and the 21st independent parachute company.
They were able to
resist numerous attacks from the north and west.
And managed to destroy at least one german self propelled gun, before
withdrawing to positions around Hartenstein and utlimately evacuation
across the river.